Monday, December 21, 2009

T'was the Week Before Christmas

No major news and no major events. This is one of the best Mondays of the year. I just finished report cards, so I don't have to feel guilty about not correcting papers. There is still almost a full two weeks before school starts, so I don't have to feel guilty for not planning. Now, I only have children to make me feel guilty. They are milking every dollar and ride they can get out of us. At least they are old enough to not wake us up in the morning. Going to bed at midnight and getting up about 9:30. Life is good.

We have been doing the normal Christmas stuff. I don't believe for a second that shoppers are staying home. It is a total misinformation conspiracy. Lines are long, stores are packed, parking lots are predatory, restaurants have waits, and traffic is nuts. Sounds like a normal holiday season to me. The ward Christmas party was classed-up this year, and Christmas Sunday was everything a Christmas Sunday should be. We have four missionaries in the field (all out of country/two in former Soviet Republics), and they all wrote their testimonies about Christ. A lot of nice Christmas music mixed in and a beautiful harp solo.

Today, Cheryl finished up Christmas shopping, Rozi went to the mall with her friends (Remember the age?), and Lewis and I saw Avatar 3D. Avatar 3D is totally worth seeing. Last Friday, a first grade brother of a former student (a student I could write a book about) came up to me while I was on crossing guard duty and said I looked like Santa (I sure hope he was talking about the beard). I told him that I don't give presents. I give homework. There was a little second grader behind him who said, "I don't want him as a teacher." His mother replied, "I do." Then she smiled at me and told me I was going to have fun with her son. I guess I have three more years to go.

Everything is going well. We will be having Christmas at home. The kids are with us until the 30th. Cheryl will take the train down to Portland the day after Christmas to visit with her family. We will go down a couple days later to pick her up. We will stay the night and head back the next day. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to drive there.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and joyous holiday season. I miss you all and wish I could see you this holiday season. Merry Christmas an Happy New Year.
Love,
Evan

5 comments:

  1. I'll concur. Everyone is shopping here too!

    We have the same plan for the holiday...just to relax. No worries except for normal boy stuff. I am looking forward to this break like no other. The boys can get their own breakfast...let sleeping Mama's lie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning on a boring christmas until we decided to go to DC. Now I have more presents to buy, packing to do and I just remembered I didn't bring stockings, so I need to go buy some. Have a great Christmas I wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to all the Larsen's. You don't look like Santa, but your Dad does. I think the real Santa must have been Danish. Tummy, nose, hair do, jolliness. Yep! Your preparations for the Holidays sound like a wonderfully typical Christmas. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, people are shopping. Jared and I don't go to restaurants because we are starting out the whole established family thing . . . and are pinching pennies.

    Wish we could see you guys too. Hope your Christmas is awesome and stuff. Love Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas!! Quiet Christmas is the best sort of Christmas. Relaxed is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete