Saturday, October 24, 2009

Old Man's Update

Well, it is my week, and there is not really much to say. Life goes along, and it seems like Cheryl and I are along for the ride. Lewis continues to work hard at school. He is really into a computer game named SPORE. It is basically SIMS for kids. You start off as a single cell organism and guide your evolution along into a bunch of interesting cartoonish creations. Academically, the workload has ramped up for him. He takes it well. He is the only 11 year scout with a couple young scout masters. They seem to have a good time. Lewis is happy to finally have an adult in his life that actually enjoys Halloween. Cheryl has been working on his costume for a couple weeks. He is going to be the shortest Hagrid ever. Cheryl and I took him to my school's harvest festival today. It was a little young for him, but he had a good time having the undivided attention of Cheryl and I. Rozi is now at the age where she tells me what she is doing on Saturday and not the other way around.

Rozi's workload has had a dramatic increase this year. It seems like her workload increase has increased mine. She has been doing very well. She is at her best friend's house right now working, supposedly, on a science project. I cannot imagine why Cheryl just saw that she was logged on to Facebook. There are benefits to being in junior high. She is doing a two month swimming unit at school. She is in the highest group, and the PE teacher thinks she should try for the swim team next year. Diving appears to be her nemesis now. Young Women seems to be a large part of her life. She has many more meeting as Beehive president than I do being in the Sunday School presidency. Works for me.

Cheryl seems to have fit right in to her new job. I think she misses being a first grade teacher, but she is a natural ELL (English Language Learner) teacher. She has a talent for alternating grade levels, prepping for the varied lessons she has in a day, and dealing with the massive amount of bureaucracy that drives me up the wall. She is doing full time work on a half time schedule. For some reason, the paperwork doesn't seem to be cut in half. She subs about once a week. I don't know how she can do it and still be such a ray of sunshine. Subbing is like trying to cook a three course meal in a complete stranger's kitchen. Next Thursday she is subbing for me, because I have a doctor's appointment. It is on her birthday (I know! I am an ***).

As for me, I am the same old Evan. I have a really nice class. Behavior doesn't appear to be an issue this year. My work is cut out for me when it comes to academics. At least that is a battle I enjoy fighting. Just finished parent teacher conferences. Only one no show. Hint to all my siblings, parent-teacher conferences that last an hour and seven minutes are not good for anyone. This year I have to attend a lot more meetings. I agreed to be a math rep. for my building, and then found out after I signed on that the position meant that I have to be on the school's leadership team. Cheryl and I saw an Agatha Christie play a week or so ago. We found a little playhouse about 15 minutes from the house. It is a little odd, but the production was very good. We are taking the kids there in December to see Tom Sawyer.

Hope everyone is doing well and are dryer than we are.
Later,
Evan

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I still don't know what Alexis is going to be for Halloween. Your kids are very smart and accomplished. I don't think a teacher ever saw me do something in P.E. and say I should try out for a team (as shocking as that may seem).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, This is Mom. Cheryl, I had finding out when your birthday was on my to-do list for a while now, but never did find out until Terra looked it up on Facebook. Last week was a ward dinner I was in charge of and had a bladder infection and worrying about getting to Indiana--barely got through the week. Now I am relaxing with three sweet grandchildren. What's this all mean? The birthday card is in the mail, or will be soon. Thanks so much for the post, Evan. You are fun to read and made my day. Lots of love to all. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was like, 100% sure that I commented on this the minute you posted. But, either you deleted it, which seems unlikely, or I'm losing it...which is VERY likely.

    It's so nice to hear how y'all are doing. You are such a nice family...it does my heart good!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan, you are funny. I don't know how Cheryl is going to make a Hagrid costume, but I'm excited to see pictures. Cheryl must have that thing called talent that I was never able to master. I must be tempting to live with a sub. Do you ever just want to roll over in the morning and say "I don't want to get up, will you sub for me?"

    Well your kids seem amazing and it makes me sad I've missed so much of their life. Take care and keep posting. (It makes mom so happy, and us)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Evan:

    This is my second attempt at answering a blog. I hope Rozi's got there okay!

    Sounds like you guys have had plenty to keep you busy - kids, their school, Halloween, your teaching responsibilities, being a math rep and on the school's leadership team, going to plays, and cooking chili! Rozi said the chili was gone in the first 15 minutes, so it must've been superb!

    Sounds like the kids are doing very well in school and in their extracurricular activities (i.e. Rozi's swimming and Young Women and Lewis' scouts, etc.)

    It's nice to hear you talk so lovingly about Cheryl, such as when you said she was a "ray of sunshine." It does my heart good to see her so happy!

    Well, I better sign off and see if I can get this blog to work.

    Love,

    "Mom J"

    ReplyDelete