Sunday, September 13, 2009

This and That

Well, it is my week to update the blog. It was the first week of school (student week I should say) for Cheryl and I. It is always a crazy week, and that is my excuse for not having pictures. Cheryl seems happy at her new school. The staff has given her a warm welcome (which doesn't always happen) and have made her feel like one of their own. Her only real complaint is that she would like to be full-time. She hasn't started seeing students yet. ELL (English Language Learner) teachers are buried under a pile of paperwork and tests at the start of each year.

I cannot complain about my students and my first week of school. They seem to be a nice group that is eager to learn. My work is defienetly cut out for me, but that does not scare me nearly as much as behavioral issues. Enrollment is a little shakey, so I may end up being a 4/5 combo teacher. I guess we'll have to see. There are five siblings of my previous students in my class, and this is the first time in years where I have had a girl dominant class.

Rozi and Lewis have both had a good start of year. Rozi has jumped right into junior high (8th grade in their district), and has a very positive attitude. She is so into school, church youth activities, and friends that I sometimes have a hard time relating to her. Lewis is such a constant in life. He is happy, works hard, and enjoys the simple things in life. The only major issue I have with the kid is that he always snags my remote. Okay, the kids have been at their mother's for a few days, and I my be waxing a little nostalgic.

Last night, Cheryl and I went to see Poison and Def Leppard. Neither of us have been to a concert in 20 years, and it was awesome. We bought the tickets to see Poison, but Def Leppard was by far the best. I have been to a few concerts in my life, but experiencing it with Cheryl made it so much better. We both knew all the songs, and we didn't have any problem singing and screaming along since the crowd was primarily made up of old farts like us (I mean me). Cheryl and I are going to see Heart at the fair on the 23rd.

Today, Cheryl and I drove down to Portland to eat Mongolian BBQ with Cheryl's parents, brother, and sister-in-law. It was a double birthday celebration. Trouble is living up to her name, but that is another blog. Hope all is well with everyone.
Later, Evan

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the update. Rozi is in the throws of teenagerism and I'm happy for her, but I can't help but hope that Lewis freezes in time somehow because it is such a happy, uncomplicated age. Can't imagine you yelling and singing. That would be something to see. Got to hurry to school myself. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the image of you and Cheryl rocking out to Def Leppard! I am so glad you two found each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like life is good. Some day my kids will be older and Mark and I will be able to go on dates. It seems so far away. I always wondered what it would be like to raise a teenager. You are going to have to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! Ha! Who! Rocking Out?! Wow am I old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear you have happy kids. Dates are fun--wish we had more of those. If I heard a song by any of those bands I wouldn't be able to tell you who wrote them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evan rocking out...ok I can totally see that. Sounds like fun. Jeff and I are still trying to figure out how to see the new Harry Potter movie and it isnt showing in many theaters anymore...guess we better hurry. Count your blessings, Rozi is a good kid and it could be alot worse...aka Meri and Me.

    ReplyDelete