The problem with having someone blog each week is that there is not always something worth talking about. Okay, I am sure I could find numerous things to complain about. I am quite good at that. I could also talk shop and bore you to death. Chances are I may do a little of both.
Kids are doing well. Rozi turns 14 this month and Lewis 12. Big years for church. Rozi will be able to attend all youth activities including church dances (it seems like she is already there most the time anyway) and Lewis becomes a deacon and regular scout. It also makes me feel old. My daughter is going to be in high school next year. My little baby girl will be in high school, and my son will technically be in junior high. That realization hit me more than turning 40. I have to admit I don't like it. It is time for things to slow down a little.
We are getting ready for standardized testing in two weeks. I work at a Title 1 school (economically poor) which means the Fed is involved. They are beating test scores into our heads daily with threats of Black Hawk helicopters landing on the playground. You have read the news. I, in turn, have been working my students something fierce. Those poor kids. Once upon a time I used to be a fun (maybe kinda fun) teacher. Now I am a pencil pushing, pacing guide following, nose to the grindstone kind of teacher. Sometimes I really don't like what I have turned into. I don't know if I have sold out. I only know that my students have learned everything that the state says they were supposed to have learned. None of my students will be able to see something on the test and say, " Mr. Larsen didn't teach us that." This is a challenge when the vast majority of the class comes in behind grade level. I told you I didn't have much to do except complain.
Cheryl and I are looking forward to going to a concert this weekend. We are going to see Nickelback and Breaking Benjamin on Friday. We bought the tickets months ago. We will see U2 the day before school lets out. I think we bought those tickets in November. Cheryl and I are trying to cut spending and have been doing a pretty good job of it. Yesterday was a challenge though. ZZ Top is playing in August, and tickets went on sale yesterday. I almost gave in. We will see if I do. We enjoy going to concerts a lot, but for me it is the anticipation that is the best. I can have a totally crummy day at school and think, "I am going to Bon Jovi next month." Don't get me wrong. A hard day working with kids is better than a good day working with adults.
I hope this post finds all of you safe and happy. Cheryl and I hope to see many of you this summer. I really miss having family around. It feels like I haven't seen many of you in years. I guess it has been years for a few of you.
Take Care,
Evan
27 Years of Thanksgivings
15 years ago
Nickelback stinks. That is what I have to say about that. I hope you have fun anyway.
ReplyDeleteHigh School students here are in school until 4:00 PM. I don't actually know if it helps or not--I think it is too much.
If you think your life is boring--at least know it is more exciting than mine. Miss you too.
Laura
Your life can't be too boring because I always love to read your posts. Your kids are at a great age. I enjoyed those years with most of my kids, but I had exceptional children. Still do. I love you all and am looking forward to seeing you this summer. Wish I could see everyone. I haven't seen Laura in almost two years. That's terrible!
ReplyDeleteI want to go to Nickleback!!!!! You lucky ducks. Tickets went on sale for them when I was prego with Brock and I was so ready to buy them until I realized the concert was the week I was due. Brock just did his testing. He told me it was easy....DO we get copies of their scores?
ReplyDeleteYou crack me up Evan. I love your posts and I like when people complain a little then I feel normal when I do. Anyway I think you should come visit this Christmas. I'll be alone with Mark gone and unable to fly by my self with 3 kids. I know this doesn't help with the spending less you wanted to do...but think about it. Maybe I can get some other family on board.
ReplyDeleteWow! It must have been an uneventful THREE weeks, because you all haven't blogged! I think it's great you guys go to concerts...a great way to spend your money if you ask me. Memories are priceless!
ReplyDelete